Thursday, August 23, 2012

Everett's 4th Birthday

A week and a half ago we celebrated Ev's 4th birthday.  It was so much fun!  Two of Ev's favorite things are superheros and the game Angry Birds so it seemed only natural to mush them into one party!  I made superhero posters and a cityscape to to in the windows. 
Ev doesn't eat dessert (or much of anything for that matter) so I made an AWESOME cake I knew the rest of us would like.  It's called "Death by Chocolate Cake".  It's a chocolate cake with a brownie layer in the middle, frosted with chocolate and covered with chocolate chips.  It was truly divine.
I made superhero capes for all of the kids to wear.
Ev had been looking forward to opening presents for weeks.  This was the first year where he actually "got it" as to what happens at a birthday party.  He was ready to go!
Papa Rob & Grandma Nettie got him some Spiderman skates.  He loved all of his gifts.
Ev thought his cake looked "awesome" and said "Thank you, thank you, mom!"
He enjoyed every moment of "Happy Birthday" being sung to him.
He blew out the candles in one breath.
After the party was over, the Haring side of the family stayed to go swimming in the pool.  Ev and Natalie jumped into the deep end over and over again.  Where do they get the energy?  After swimming, we brought Ev out the front door to a surprise waiting for him from Mom & Dad.  His first big boy bike.
Aaron had taken him bike shopping the week before when Natalie and I were sick with the flu.  He made daily references to red bikes and helmets and bike stores and bike shopping just so make sure we didn't forget. 
Since Aaron used to work in a bike shop in high school, he knows the ins and outs of bikes and was excited to finally be able to get Ev a bike.  We were in the middle of a terrible heat wave that week.  The day of Ev's birthday party it was 105 degrees.  Misery!  We still braved it outside so he could ride his bike a little.
After a while, we figured he better get his helmet on before he got used to riding without it.  Aaron adjusted the helmet just right.
After Ev got his helmet on, it dawned on me that he reminded me of someone.  I can't put my finger on it, but I'm sure it'll come to me...
Natalie got in on the helmet action.  She thought it was pretty cool to have it on.  She actually did better wearing the helmet than Ev did.
You never forget your first bike.  Aaron and I were so excited to give him that moment.  Here's to many more adventures on your bike!
I had some fabric scraps so I made some Angry Birds pillows.  We were going to play a giant game of Angry Birds in the backyard by stacking up boxes with the pillows in the pigeon holes and chuck a ball at them to try to knock them down.  But like I said, it was 105 that day so no one was interested in going outside. 
Ev had a wonderful day and enjoyed every moment of his 4th birthday.  He passed out, and I got to carry him upstairs and put him to bed.  Sweet dreams, buddy!




No comments: