Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A Day at the Farm (aka: My Mom's House)

Two weeks ago, I didn’t have to go in to work. Instead, Ev and I hung out at my mom’s house. Ev refused to take a nap, so we all headed out to the garden.We fed the chickens, collected eggs, picked apples, basil and parsley.To our surprise, there were even a few raspberries – yum!While I was collecting basil leaves, Ev walked up and handed me a slimy, wet snail. Thanks, son.

He kept wanting to play with the hose. Even though it was only like 65 degrees, I gave in and let him play while we worked.He had a great time drinking the water and letting out a big “Aaaah!” when he was done.After about 10 minutes, his jaw started chattering so we knew he was ready to go in. I wrapped him in a towel and followed up with a warm bath from Grandma Carol.

While my mom and Ev took a nap, I made an apple crisp,a huge pot of home made applesauce,and dehydrated a batch of basil and parsley.The house smelled wonderful. It was a great day. All we need to do now is figure out what to do with the rest of the apples!Time to get busy dehydrating some more! I had been craving a creative outlet, and this satisfied the need. I am really missing my kitchen.

2 comments:

The Kneeland Family said...

You are the little Molly Good job working so hard!

Colleen said...

What a fun day! I wish I had a garden! Maybe I should go clear out the little section of weeds in my yard that is supposed to be the garden & actually plant something in it!