Friday, June 12, 2009

Online Shopping FAIL


I stumbled on the site, www.failblog.org. In my opinion, I think it is the funniest site I have ever seen. My mom on the other hand didn't get it. It's about life's attempts that go horribly wrong, or just don't quite meet the mark.

Which brings me to my story.

If I receive a gift card, I rarely use it right away. I usually save them for a rainy day when I'm broke and need some retail therapy without spending money. Besides, shopping isn't as much fun as it used to be. I don't get to go shopping by myself anymore. Actually, physically GOING to the store to shop is almost more trouble than it's worth. This week I had a little extra "quiet time" while Ev was sleeping, so I got out some old gift cards that still had balances to do a little online shopping. First up was my Ritz Camera gift certificate for $50. Aaron got this for me a couple of years ago, but I forgot I had it. All of the stores are now closed, but online was open! I scoured through pages and pages of options and painfully narrowed my selection down to the amount of the card. I joyfully plugged in the gift card account number...it showed a balance of:What? How could that be? I called to check and found myself on hold for an insane amount of time. I suppose there must be a crazy amount of people trying to get a hold of Ritz Camera at 9pm. I decided to try their online "Live Chat" and was connected with someone named Thomas Miller.
Thomas Miller: Welcome to Ritz Camera online! How can I help you?
Caroline: I got this $50 gift card from a Ritz Camera Store that's showing a zero balance, it was never used. How could that be?
Thomas Miller: Ritz Camera stores and Ritz Camera online are two different stores. We have nothing to do with each other.
Caroline: So, even though the back of the card says visit us at Ritz Camera online, the card is useless?
Thomas Miller: That is correct.
??? I still don't get it.
Utter shopping FAILURE. I had spent upwards of 45 minutes making my retail therapy selection only to have it ripped away. I didn't let that get me down too much though, I still had two more gift cards. Next up was a Jo-Ann gift card. A little smarter this time, I checked the balance FIRST. I knew I had used a bit of the card, but when I went to check the balance, this is what I had left:That didn't even cover the cost of shipping - FAIL! My last ray of hope a Kohl's certificate. The golden balance on this card?Well, if you subtract the cost of shipping, I suppose I could buy a really super cool pair of socks. So anti-climactic. I think I need to find a new therapeutic outlet.

4 comments:

Kim said...

That is too funny. I share your pain in missing that much needed retail therapy! The Ritz in Riverside is still open so don't let that card go to waste. Shopping road trip, to Riverside, wow wee!

Colleen said...

I have found that when I get gift cards, I have to spend them right away or else I forget that I have them. I was cleaning out my nightstand a couple weeks ago & found a $5 Hollywood Video gift card that my Visiting Teacher in my old ward gave me. That means I've had it for close to 5 years now. Maybe I should just buy $5 worth of candy at Hollywood Video & use it all up. My Grandma gave me $100 in those Spa Finder Gift Cards for Christmas in 2005. I've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it. As soon as I'm done nursing, I'm going to make myself an appointment for a day at the spa. I wonder if they take those Spa Finder things at Glen Ivy?

Nunazuna said...

How uber Suckie!!! I know there is a Ritz still open somewhere! You may have to travel out of state but i know you can still find one. Sorry you had a crappie online shopping day. It would have been more junk you don't need anyway. If you ever need a break Ben and I can totally babysit for you. Even if it's just to go shopping. Love ya!

Jayne said...

same thing happened to me.. I just had to throw away a 50.00 visa gift card. it had expired..

who knew?

dang.. so sad