Monday, August 17, 2009

It's Not A Party 'Til Somebody Pukes

Sunday, we had Everett's birthday party. The entire family was there - it was great! We had pizza, salad, chip 'n' dips, fruit and three cakes. Everett spent the day being passed from family member to family member and was the center of attention, as it should be!

About 20 minutes into the party, Everett had an announcement to make: But it went unnoticed for about a half hour. When his shirt was finally noticed, there were cheers all around! Yup, Everett is going to be a big brother! Oh boy, here we go again! (More on that later...back to the party!) After we ate, we opened presents. Ev was interested for about the first 30 seconds, and then was ready to do something else. It's the same way with every one-year-old, which is why I requested no gifts - but that request was ignored by his generous family. Next came Ev's big moment to eat some cake. Most moms envision this moment where the kid smears gobs of icing and cake all over their face and there is a flurry of photo taking to capture the moment. Not so much with my kid. He touched the icing on the cake and was immediately irritated that it stuck to his fingers.We tried to get him to taste the icing to no avail. Finally, I took the tinest pinch of cake and put it in his mouth. He immediately gaged once, and on the second gag completely hurled his squash and applesauce all over the highchair and his shirt. Lovely. So, that magic moment was gone for me. Maybe next year...After we got him changed into his 3rd outfit of the day, we gave hugs and said goodbye as our guests headed home. Aaron, Everett and the cousins went in the spa while I cleaned up. By the end of the night, I was exhausted. It was worth the effort, though. What a great day.

My sister-in-law was even sweet enough to hide a piece of chocolate cake for me, which I will happily eat tonight - very slowly - all by myself.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

So wonderful to hear that there is another Haring baby on the way! You are great parents and I know Ev will be a fantastic big brother. Blessings all around!

Kris said...

It's hard to believe that he is ALREADY a year old!! Congratulations to you guys - the way you announced it was cute!

Kim said...

Wow! What a fun time for your family! I can't believe what a big boy Ev is already!!! And a new baby on the way....so exciting!