Wednesday, August 19, 2009

So Did I Pass or Fail This Test?

That was the question Aaron posed to me when we were trying to get pregnant the first time. Passing or failing this test all depends on your point of view.

When we had Everett we meticulously planned everything. But as John Lennon said, "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." Life happened and our beautiful plan went up in flames.

As for baby #2, there was no plan. We had heard the words time and time again, but it wasn't until after we had Everett that we really learned that as far as family goes, there's no perfect financial time to have a baby, and even if there was - it could all change in an instant. (Try going from 2 incomes to zero income plus a baby within 3 months - that was NOT in the plan!) We were (and still are) very concerned with the very thin line that separates living our lives through building our family and just being plain stupid. I guess which side of the line we're on all depends on your point of view.

We found out we were pregnant a week after we moved in with Aaron's parents. It took us a couple of days to snap out of the shock and "what the heck were we thinking?" phase. We adjusted our thinking, relaxed and moved over to the "woo hoo! We're having another baby!" phase.

No matter the financial circumstance, what I do know is that this baby will be loved and adored. I can't wait to kiss this baby's cute little face. I'm excited to see our family grow and I know there is plenty of love to go around.

We know "love" doesn't buy the diapers, but through hard work we'll figure out a new plan and find a way to make it work. With that as my point of view, I think I passed this test with flying colors.

8 comments:

Kim L. said...

Yeah, yeah. Love doesn't buy diapers, but you know what? Kids don't "NEED" much. Our society has blown the definition of what's "necessary" WAY out of proportion. Your current situation is temporary...and in my most humble opinion \"/ a woman only has so many child bearing years...so if you are struggling financially during those years, do you just NOT have a family? NO. You may have to sacrifice some of the things that the world calls "necessary", but a little sacrifice never hurt anyone. While living in Brazil... I saw POVERTY that doesn't exist here. But people don't just not have kids... they raise their kids with TONS of love in a house with dirt floors....and the kids turn out to be happy, well adjusted, humble kids. It's all relative. So I say, who cares what other people think...have your family! Congrats. What will the age gap be?

Barbra said...

WELL SAID!!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

Kris said...

I think you passed with flying colors!! Congratulations!!

Colleen said...

I love Kim's comments. They are just perfect! Carrie, I am so excited for your new little one! I hope you won't torture us again by waiting to find out if you're having a boy or a girl until the birth! I am so ready to start planning another baby shower! :)

Katie said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you. What a great blessing this will be.

Nunazuna said...

I'd say....YOU PASSED!!! This is going to be fun!

Jayne said...

how exciting,
you are a great mom and I know you'll be able to have two kiddies with flying colors


Ev, will love having a new sibling ( in about two years ) :)

they will be great buddies

Lisa said...

Wow, I had been out of the loop too long! That is great news, we had our second child under very similar circumstances, and were blessed every step of the way and still are. I agree with Kim, and all will be well!