Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Welcome to Motherhood, Dear

Monday night, Aaron graciously offered to take care of Everett if he woke up in the middle of the night. Since Everett's been born, I have always been the one to handle any middle-of-the-night activity. Now that I'm working, I am more than happy to share the responsibility.

At 4:30 am Ev started crying so Aaron jumped into action. He made Everett's bottle, changed his pants and tried to swaddle him. This is where things went horribly wrong. Our house was 75 degrees when I put Everett to bed. Usually I swaddle him and give him a bottle and he's out for the count. Since it was so hot I just had a thin newborn receiving blanket over him. Poor Aaron was trying to swaddle an 8 month old in a newborn size blanket and his arms kept coming out and he would wake up.

Finally on the third try Aaron had had it. He put Everett to bed crying, threw the blanket on him and slammed the door. (so much for me getting extra sleep!) Thankfully, after a few seconds, Everett fell back asleep. Aaron came back to bed upset and frustrated. He was trying so hard.

Aaron: "Do you think velcro would help keep his arms down?"
Me: "I'm sure someone, somewhere has made a blanket with velcro on it."
Aaron: "No, I'm serious - I've got some velcro straps in the garage, do you think that would work?"
Me: "No, you can't velcro our son's arms down. Go back to sleep."

Later that day, Aaron called me and apologized for losing his mind for a while.
Welcome to my world.

2 comments:

The Kneeland Family said...

Okay That is a crack up. I love it when men have a little taste of motherhood. If they only new!

Colleen said...

Too funny! There's a reason why women are the mothers. We are far more patient & can survive on far less sleep.