Friday, May 15, 2009

I Know You're Cooler Than Me, But Could Ya Help a Little, Please?

Last week I had to get my car smog checked. It gave me the opportunity to leave work early and spend extra time with my boy. I knew Everett would need to be entertained when we got there, so I went through the Del Taco drive through and got some tortillas and a cup of water. We pulled up to the smog check station in Chino, pictured below. Any mom knows to go anywhere, you have to be ready for anything. That requires the amount of baggage equivalent to going on a trip to China.

There was only one other car getting checked, and 3 mechanics. One mechanic took my information, handed me my invoice and instructed me to pay inside the office. I got out of the car, got my purse, diaper bag, camera bag, Del Taco bag, cup of water and baby packed up and waddled over to the office door. The 20something mechanic just watched me. No offer to help, didn't even make an attempt to open the office door. Thanks dude.

I got to the door and to my horror, it said "Pull". Oh sure, with what hand? With my elbow I got the door to crack open just enough to wedge my foot inside the door and kick it open. Upon entering the office I was met with the stares from three 20something girls just sitting there, watching me. Perhaps they had never seen a creature like me before, after all, they seemed to be from Paris Hilton Land complete with bug-eye sunglasses, skinny jeans and over-processed hair.
I handed the lady behind the counter my invoice and headed outside for a little picnic on the grass with my baby. A few minutes later the Hilton Trio's car was done. I watched the girls as they got in the car, checked their makeup, and made sure their hair was perfect.

I wondered to myself, "Was I ever like that?" Was there ever a time when I sat by and stared at someone else struggling when all I had to do was something as simple as open the door for them? I guess I just notice things like that more since I have a baby now and nothing is as easy as it once was. That will be something I will drill into Everett's head. "Get off your butt and help."

4 comments:

Sheryl said...

Isn't just amazing how unaware and inconsiderate so many can be...Opening doors for those in need...so small a physical gesture, so big an addition to your character.

The Kneeland Family said...

To answer your question! NOOOOOO! NO we were never, I say never like that we were always trained to help. We were never of that breed.Thank Goodness!

Nunazuna said...

What clueless retards!!!! I don't think that any of them purposely made the decision not to help you but they are just clueless. If it can't be texted or done with a cellphone they just don't get it. Trust me, I deal with these 20 something clueless retards all day long! I think that you (and all other parents) making a conscious effort in teaching our children will help solve the problem for our future. Did you know that in 2007 there were more babies born then ever before in US history. That means another baby boom! We have to teach them now so we have so kind of hope for their future!

Anonymous said...

the girls were just aw struck with your beauty...get use to it. :) And it happens all the time, and NO, you were not like that.
i'm pretty sure i'll never leave the house again after the twins come...because there is no way i'll be able to open a door with my elbow. lol