Friday, May 29, 2009

Where Have I Heard This Story Before?

I saw this article on Drudge Report yesterday.
I couldn't believe it. Are you kidding me?

http://www.infowars.com/san-diego-county-threatens-to-fine-couple-for-holding-bible-study-meetings/

I instantly thought of the story of Alma and his people being forbidden to worship out loud:

Mosiah 24: 10-12
10 And it came to pass that so great were their afflictions that they began to cry mightily to God.
11 And Amulon commanded them that they should stop their cries; and he put guards over them to watch them, that whosoever should be found calling upon God should be put to death.
12 And Alma and his people did not raise their voices to the Lord their God, but did pour out their hearts to him; and he did know the thoughts of their hearts.

I remember reading this story thinking that this sort of thing only happened in backward, fear-mongering societies. The people back then must not have been very smart. This kind of thing would NEVER happen HERE.

I stand corrected. History is repeating itself. It's like the scriptures coming to life. I am understanding now how peaceful, God-loving, free societies in the scriptures turn into self-serving, Godless societies where the people are in bondage. That couple in San Diego doesn't sound "free" to me.

The story goes on to say that the Lord was with the people of Alma. He did not take their burden away, but made them stronger so they were able to bare the burden. Time to toughen up. I'd like my country back.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

I followed your link & read that article! It's incredible! Did you read some of the comments people wrote? There was even 1 person who said this was payback for Prop 8! What a bunch of jerks!
When I finished reading that story, I watched a related news report. Apparently a neighbor complained because of the parking on the street. I guess you can't really blame a neighbor for complaining that their street is being blocked on a regular basis. However, the line of questioning from the county official was absolutely out of line. She should have left it strictly as a parking issue. But when she brought the religious gathering into it, she opened up a whole new can of worms. Now it appears as though 1st Amendment Rights have been violated, both freedom of religion and the right to peaceably assemble. I hope these people hire an awesome attorney & stand up for themselves! If this is what the state of California is turning into, I don't think I want to live here to see it's downfall!