Monday, May 12, 2008

Behold, Your Little Ones

I can see why Christ loved little children. Every Sunday I'm up to my eyeballs in them, and I love it. After this weekend I'm afraid my nursery days are numbered.

Today I actually FEEL pregnant. This Mother’s Day weekend kicked my rear end a bit. Friday and Saturday I was up walking and standing a lot. I couldn't’t believe how much my feet were hurting (Docs are cool, but not very supportive). I didn’t say a word though, I can’t be a wuss this early in the game! We were at my in-laws’ late Saturday night and Sunday I had to be up at 5:30 to get everything together for Mother’s Day with my mom. (we made her breakfast) After that, I rushed home to get ready for church and off I went!

The Nursery leader was as sick as could be, so I was running the show. When I got to the room to set up, I knew I was going to be in for a world of hurt. My feet and back were already aching from the days before, but after moving 6 long folding tables, pushing and pulling several stacks of chairs, lifting and arranging a podium, snack tables, and bins of toys, crawling on the floor and lifting and holding some crying babies along with lots of happy babies (and one very defiant and feisty one), I was toast.

On any other non-pregnant normal day, this was just par for the course, no problem. I could tell that things were very different than normal. Does that really mean I can’t do everything I did before I was pregnant? I hate the feeling of being handicapped. I refuse to ask for help when I can do it myself.

So here I am on Monday at work. My back is still hurting, my feet are swollen and achy and I’m walking like an old lady. This is not good. I still have 3 months to go. Thoughts of Nursery retirement are at the front of my mind. That will be a very sad and difficult day for me. I knew this day was coming, but I didn’t actually want it to be here. I’ve been there for 3 years. I love those babies (even the feisty one), and Nursery has seriously been the best calling I’ve ever had. Listening in sacrament meeting I recognize each kids’ specific cry and hope they’re ok. My heart melts when they recognize me outside of Nursery and smile or wave at me. These aren’t even my babies and I’m a mushpot. I'm going to hang on to being in the Nursery as long as I possibly can...or until my back gives out.

I think little by little I'm getting the hang of this mothering thing.

3 comments:

A new Flight Attendant, said...

You are to cute! I've completly given in to all of my pregnancy aches, pains and discomforts this time around, lol. I know I should be tougher, but I'm tired of chasing two kids with this big belly, lol.

Colleen said...

It's tough to be in Nursery when you're pregnant. I stayed in Nursery until about 3 weeks before Claire was born. I loved being in the Nursery, but it was so physically demanding when I was pregnant. I would go home & have to put my feet up or lie down for a couple hours to try to recover. Hang in there! Just don't be afraid to ask for help. Next time, grab a man in the hallway & ask him to help you move the tables & chairs out of the way. Only a jerk would refuse to help a pregnant woman move heavy things. If some guy says no, then you know to feel really sorry for his wife.

Sheryl said...

You are such a blessing to the babies in Eastvale. You can tell how much they love you. You will know when you need a change, and with your newly growing ward, I would bet someone out there is going to be able to help. Hang in there kiddo!`