Monday, March 9, 2009

The List and The Nixon

My mom was going through a rough patch a few months ago so my Aunt had her make a list of all of the things that make her happy and all of the things she would like to do but hadn't. On her list of things that made her happy, Everett was at the top so we've been sure to visit on a regular basis. She always says, "He's like vitamins". He's such a happy kid, it's hard not to feel good around him. On her list of things she'd like to do, she wanted to visit different museums. In January, she went with my brother to the Getty Center. This weekend, Kelle, my mom, Ev and I went to The Nixon Library. Everett got to meet The President and The King. He decided to christen the carpet runner in Nixon's childhood home. I tried to scrub it the best I could,but if you see some spots in front of the fireplace...that was my kid. My son has this strange fascination with shoes and feet. Aunt Kelle was happy to feed the fetish. (shoe salesman or podiatrist?)
He also got to go on Nixon's helicopter. My camera died 1/2 way through so I missed the photo op. Luckily, my sister sent me her photos. The grounds were absolutely beautiful. The museum had a lot of really cool things to see. There was this creepy sculpture of Nixon. It looked kind of like a bunch of gum wads stuck together. I'm sure someone worked very hard on it.
There was a nice gift shop. Kelle wanted to buy Ev a onsie that said, "I am not a criminal", but to no avail. I guess the library doesn't want to dwell on that moment. I'm so glad we got the opportunity to go.

2 comments:

The Kneeland Family said...

Looks like you had a great time. We need to get together again.

Colleen said...

That looks like a fun place to go. I went there once when I was in high school for an assignment in my government class. I didn't really pay too much attention to the place. It was the day of my senior prom & I was more worried about finishing my assignment in time to get to the hair-stylist to get my hair done. Now that I'm older I might actually enjoy going there. Thanks for the inspiration.