Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Genetically Jacked

Moe is a purebred Pembroke Welsh Corgi. I went to a specialty breeder, and paid a grip of money to get the very best Corgi I could for my darling husband's birthday. His parents were both champion prize winners - his father was even flown in from New Zealand for heaven's sake. So our dog is a genetically superior super dog, right?

Well...not so much. Turns out Moe is a genetic freak of nature. Literally.

Moe woke up on Monday morning and couldn't walk. The night before, Moe was at the neighbor's house playing with their dogs while Aaron and I visited. We figured he might have hurt something while overdoing it at the neighbor's house.

Off to the vet we went. Ever see a woman load a newborn baby and a 30 lb. dog that can't walk into a car? It's quite a sight. At the vet we found (after having to get freakin' expensive x-rays) that Moe has an extra vertebrae in his back. We don't call him "Extended Cab" for nothin'. The vet said it was so unusual he wanted to take the x-rays to his next vet conference. The cushioning between his vertebrae are almost wore out so when he plays hard his back gets inflamed causing too much pain for him to walk.

We're treating him with meds and he's feeling better. No more wrestling. No more running up the stairs. No more rough housing, jumping, or vigorous exercise. Poor Moe is only 1 year old. How do you tell a puppy he can't play anymore?

We're so sorry, buddy. We love you so much and can't even tell you how sad we are for you. We hope you feel better soon.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Poor Moe! That is really sad! I hope that he will feel better soon.

The Kneeland Family said...

So sad I the no pet lover actually like Moe. I don't pet animals but I do actually pet Moe and I even let him lick my feet. That is pretty big. POOR MOE.

Jayne said...

I love your blog Caroline!
your baby is so cute, spit up, that is what ryan did to me too!

what a nice write up on your great grandma, 100 that is quite an accomplishment!
sorry to hear about your dog. dog gone it anyway!

see you on saturday