Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Mommy Badge

So when you have a baby, I've heard some women comment on how it was "the reason they were put on this earth" or "their greatest achievement". I can agree with those comments, but I think I will be more satisfied with those comments after I raise my son to become a productive, loving, functioning adult-not living at home.

Everett has let me know that I'm doing a good job, so far. How, you ask? He gives me a Mommy Badge on a regular basis. It's not made of metal, it's not fancy or sparkly - but it does get your attention. Usually you wear it on one shoulder or the other, but if you're as lucky as I am, you get it as a total surprise right in the middle of your shirt. I never thought about a bra having a dual purpose as a spit-up catcher. My boy can spit up what seems an entire meal worth on a regular basis. He's like a milk fountain. Forget the dinky little spit up rags...I am using my dish towels. It doesn't end up just on me. Usually before I can stem the tide he manages to get it all over his arms, clothes and rubs his face in it. Aaah...good times. I'm sure someday I'll miss this. Until then, thanks for the Mommy Badge kiddo.

3 comments:

Kim L. said...

Yeah, all 3 of mine have been projectile hurlers. Not just after a meal....all day long. I would WEAR receiving blankets on both shoulders draped across my body.... it never failed to get in my hair, or seep through... go over my shoulder and end up landing on my ghetto booty... you name it.... just wait til he's crawling.... SO LONG CARPET! FYI... booby milk comes out MUCH better than formula!

The Kneeland Family said...

Oh isn't it lovely. I used to use receiving blankets, I think it was Kelsie that enjoyed doing that. Well don't you just love being a mommy. It's the best.

Colleen said...

Claire did that to me. I put bath towels on the couch around me while I was nursing so that I didn't have to clean the couch. Eventually, I realized that I was just feeding her way too much at a time. So I ended up using a stop-watch to limit the amount of time she would nurse. I limited her to 3 1/2 minutes on each side. I gradually added 10-15 seconds per side to keep an amount of milk in her that she could handle. The massive spit-ups slowed down once I started doing that. Doesn't it just amaze you how much yucky stuff can come out of someone so tiny? Especially when you consider that everything he eats comes from you!