Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The Act of Giving Birth

I am always in awe and admiration at the creativity of others…especially when it makes me laugh. Since I’m in the last month of the home stretch, I’ve been thinking a lot about the actual ACT of giving birth. I’ve watched EVERY birth video on youtube, read as much material as I could get my hands on, and asked friends at length about their experiences. Even though I know how “things work” there’s still a little tape in the back of my head that keeps repeating, “Something the size of WHAT is gonna come out of WHERE???” I always beat the thought back with, “Women have been giving birth since the beginning of time – you’ll be fine.”

From what I gather, it doesn’t matter how much you prepare, you’ll never be 100% ready for the birth experience until you’ve been there yourself. I just can’t help but wonder what the trick is or mental switch (if there is one) that can be flipped on to have a better birth experience. I’ve read a lot of birth stories and wonder how there could be such a difference between the woman who gives birth with no drugs and says she didn’t need them because she wasn’t in pain, versus the woman who takes every drug available and still has a horrific time.

Take for instance, the photos below. How is it that some women give birth and look like they just got back from the mall, while others look like they got ran over by a Mack Truck on the way back from the mall?

Mall Beauty <- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -> Mack Truck
















I dunno. Guess I’ll just have to wait and see what category I fall under. I suppose in the end, as long as you’ve got that beautiful healthy baby in the photo next to you, it doesn’t matter.

5 comments:

The Kneeland Family said...

That is great you always find the best pictures to post its great. I'm glad you don't have any pictures of me I am definately not a mall beauty after that. But don't worry you get your chance just right around the corner. Yeah I can't wait.

Colleen said...

I wasn't looking too hot after my kids were born. I did try my best to be the mall beauty though. I remember with Tyler being determined to look my best for all of the pictures. (It didn't help much though.) I actually took the time to do my hair before leaving for the hospital at 4 o'clock in the morning. The nurse was laughing at me because I sat in the bed, doing my make-up in between contractions. I refused to pull my hair up during labor because I wanted my hair down in the pictures & I didn't want to have a ponytail line. With Claire, I was induced so I got the chance to do my hair & make-up before I went to the hospital. It was pretty pointless since I got ready at 5:30 am & she wasn't born until 11:20 pm. I don't really know if I care how I look this time around.
I know that you'll do just fine when it comes time to deliver your baby! It's such an exciting time! You'll remember it as one of the best days of your life - just keep that in mind as you're having those contractions!

A new Flight Attendant, said...

lol, I love that picture. I think I'll have to do that pumpkin this Halloween, lol.
I tried so hard to be the mall beauty, not sure if it helped or not, lol. I was picky about my hair and make-up too (like Colleen said). I think the trick is, to take pictures fast, because once you have the baby and the exhaustion sets into your body, yor face swells and you get all puffy and tired looking. It's great, lol. John and I have an agreement that I get to check every picture after he takes it. If I don't like it, it gets deleted, lol.

Sheryl said...

You make me laugh!! You will be amazed at how your experience will be so different from others. I did "natural" and my daughter had an epidural. Her experience was WAY different from mine - like way less pain...Same outcome - beautiful baby. So you decide what is right for you, and hang in there baby!! Hey, is the Eastvale ward having a shower for you after the baby comes, cuz they knew to invite me.... ;)

Unknown said...

After 4 pregancies and 5 babies. Every time is different! You'll never get the same experience twice. That's what makes it interesting. I hope everything works out great for you. Please please keep me posted. Love you tons....Laura